History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

British Legion Club and Branch Library

A Grade II Listed Building in Blockley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0127 / 52°0'45"N

Longitude: -1.7623 / 1°45'44"W

OS Eastings: 416409

OS Northings: 234945

OS Grid: SP164349

Mapcode National: GBR 4NV.Z3W

Mapcode Global: VHB19.DNPX

Entry Name: British Legion Club and Branch Library

Listing Date: 26 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126775

Location: Blockley, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Blockley

Built-Up Area: Blockley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Blockley St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Blockley

Listing Text

SP 1634 NW 9/113 BLOCKLEY BELL LANE
(South+East side)

British Legion Club
and Branch Library

GV II


Founded 1713 by Rev Erasmus Saunders, enlarged (and virtually rebuilt) by
Lord Northwick 1826 (see inscription). Altered. 2 storeys with hipped roof, coursed
rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Built as a village school. North front:
3 bays, outer slightly angled back and have band over ground floor, centre breaks
forward slightly and has open pediment. Latter has lunette window with flat
bracketted label, panel below with inscription in latin. Three doorways below, centre
double. Unsymmetrical window on 1st floor to right looks contemporary (1826). To
left: a window on 1st floor and double doors below. To right: door on 1st floor,
half-blocked window below.

Return to East: 2 wide bays of tripartite windows, casements; central doorway with
open pedimented stone porch (entrance to Library). In 1867 partly taken over to house
the village fire engine (until 1946).


Listing NGR: SP1640934945

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.