History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St David

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9882 / 51°59'17"N

Longitude: -1.7013 / 1°42'4"W

OS Eastings: 420608

OS Northings: 232235

OS Grid: SP206322

Mapcode National: GBR 4PB.8PJ

Mapcode Global: VHBYZ.G9G6

Entry Name: Church of St David

Listing Date: 30 June 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088677

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126644

Location: Moreton-in-Marsh, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Moreton-in-Marsh

Built-Up Area: Moreton-in-Marsh

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Moreton-in-Marsh St David

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Moreton in Marsh

Listing Text

1.
5224 CHURCH STREET
(north side)

CHURCH OF ST DAVID
SP 2032 SE 2/34

II GV

2.
Practically rebuilt in 1858 as a hall church of 3 naves in Decorated style. Tower
1861 (see tablet in tower). Architects: Poulton and Woodman of Reading. The old
vestry (now kitchen) of 1790 was retained. 1892 chancel and south aisle extended
by E H Lingen Barker. Golden Ashlar with tiled roofs. Five bay church, 3 bay
chancel with flanking vestry and chapel; muscular west tower of 4 stages (door,
window, clock and belfry) with chamfered set-offs and with stepped corner buttresses
becoming set-back at base because of the set-offs; chamfered corners with crockets;
Gothic parapet with corner pinnacles. Stone octagonal spire with lucarnes. Stair-
turret to south-east with trefoil-headed door. Interior: font and pulpit also
'muscular', about 1860; chancel screen 1910 by Bligh Bond. East windows of aisles
and all chancel windows stained (east window by Lavers and Westlake 1858). Vestry
door has good iron-work. Two marble memorials on West wall (1887 and 1845).


Listing NGR: SP2060832235

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.