History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walton Hill Farmhouse and Attached Farm Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Elmstone Hardwicke, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9518 / 51°57'6"N

Longitude: -2.1582 / 2°9'29"W

OS Eastings: 389226

OS Northings: 228156

OS Grid: SO892281

Mapcode National: GBR 1K4.M5K

Mapcode Global: VH940.J6XL

Entry Name: Walton Hill Farmhouse and Attached Farm Buildings

Listing Date: 7 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088691

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126571

Location: Elmstone Hardwicke, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Elmstone Hardwicke

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Deerhurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text

DEERHURST A38
SO 82 NE (east side)

3/30 Walton Hill Farmhouse
and attached farm buildings
II
Farmhouse and stables. C17, c1800, early-mid C19, minor
alterations mid C20. Roughcast on timber-framing or brick, painted
brickwork, English garden wall bond brick; tiled roofs. Three-bay
2½-storey lobby-entry house, extended 3-bay wing left, forming 'L',
further stable wing beyond, both 2 storeys. Main front of house:
roughcast; plinth, plain corner pilasters. Central, 9-panel door
up one stone step, under open wooden porch, pilasters, slim corner
columns, arches to 3 sides, dentils and moulded cornice; groined
vault. Each side 3-light casement window, small panes, Y tracery,
flat head, original iron opening lights, raised surround,
hoodmould. Above similar, shallower windows each end, 2-light in
centre. Wide, plastered eaves: central, rendered chimney. Right
return plinth, steps down to cellar; 2-light casement to attics;
plain barge boards. To left of main front projecting rendered
wing, 2-light and 3-light casements, flat-headed, wide opening to
ground floor, first floor plain, plain eaves parapet; parapet
gable left return. Set back on left plain rear of brick stable
wing: gable to road with cock in burnt headers. Circular openings
to loft of stables on opposite face: interrupted tie-beam trusses.
Interior of house: 6-panel doors with dummy fielding; stick-
baluster stairs, 2 semi-circular niches in wall. Three main posts
with jowelled heads exposed rear first floor. Dado panelling to
rear room in extension, panelled door to cupboard, semi-circular
head, dummy keystone, shaped shelves. Wide fireplace in kitchen
with keystone to head. Timber-framed lobby-entry house refaced and
extensively altered about 1800, probably being turned round. This
may have been in response to the main road being re-routed after
1794.
(V.C.H., Gloucestershire, Vol VIII, 1968)


Listing NGR: SO8922628156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.