This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9669 / 51°58'0"N
Longitude: -2.1917 / 2°11'30"W
OS Eastings: 386923
OS Northings: 229843
OS Grid: SO869298
Mapcode National: GBR 1JW.QP6
Mapcode Global: VH93S.YTPJ
Entry Name: Abbot's Court
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088697
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126584
Location: Deerhurst, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19
Civil Parish: Deerhurst
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Deerhurst St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
DEERHURST DEERHURST VILLAGE
10/43 Abbot's Court
(formerly listed as Abbot's Court,
4.7.60 attached to Odda's Chapel)
House. Probably early C17, minor alterations C18, altered
internally mid-late C20. Timber-framed, rendered infill, stone
plinth, tiled roof. Since 1965 four bays. 2½ storeys, one room
deep. Front: ground floor framing 2 panels high, close studding
to right, square panel to left, above 3 panels high, close
studding. Right return jettied, prop under bracket. Two-light
casement, iron opening light; boarded door, rectangular light
over, under mid-late C20 open timber porch, single storey, gabled.
Two-light casement. Above, 2-light casement, C20 iron opening
light; paired late C20 two-light casements; 2-light casement with
small panes. All windows save last with leaded lights. Right
return gable only belongs to Abbot's Court; rest of timber-framing
and stone wing Odda's Chapel (q.v.). Ground floor close-studded
timber-framing, 2 panels high, 2-light casement, heavy post with
jowelled head to right. Ovolo-moulded jetty beam, slight
projection: framing 4 panels high to eaves, top and bottom layers
close studded, between square panels with decorative curved corner
bracing; jowelled heads to main posts. Four-light mullion and
transom window, iron opening light. Gable 2-panel high framing
below collar, curved, decorative timber; late C20 two-light window
around studs and rail: plain bargeboards. Brick chimney from
return slope on right: further lateral stack to rear far bays.
Interior: wide chamfer to ceiling beams ground and first floors:
wide stone fireplace right end ground floor with timber lintel,
smaller with 4-centred stone arch above. Interrupted tie-beam
trusses to roof, collar, 2 pairs purlins, no ridge piece. Wooden
nests for pigeons survive in left half against centre truss.
House originally included Odda's Chapel, forming 'L' plan (q.v.):
latter partly separated 1885, finally disentangled 1965. Left
half of roof to house formerly used as dovecote. Forms group with
Church of St Mary and Priory Farmhouse (q.v.).
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970;
photographs at N.M.R.)
Listing NGR: SO8695729861
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings