History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Sunday School, by Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Deerhurst, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9469 / 51°56'48"N

Longitude: -2.2066 / 2°12'23"W

OS Eastings: 385896

OS Northings: 227615

OS Grid: SO858276

Mapcode National: GBR 1K2.T39

Mapcode Global: VH93Z.PBTD

Entry Name: Former Sunday School, by Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 7 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 126603

Location: Deerhurst, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL19

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Deerhurst

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Deerhurst St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hasfield

Listing Text

SO 82 NE DEERHURST SCHOOL LANE, Lower Apperley
(north side)

3/62 Former Sunday School, by
Methodist Chapel
II
Former Moravian, later Methodist Chapel, now store. 1750 for
Moravian Brethren. Flemish bond brickwork, tiled roof. Two-
window front, single storey. Gable to road, circular window high
up; right return central, boarded door, flat, rubbed brick head.
Either side 2-light mullion and transom window, cambered brick
arch; dentil eaves course. Congregation gathered following
George Whitefield's preaching, probably with use of a building by
1747; became Moravian soon after, for whom present building
erected 1750. Leased to Methodists early C19, as chapel, bought
by them 1846. Became Sunday School when new chapel built 1901,
and adjoining cottage rebuilt (neither of special interest). One
of very few surviving Moravian chapels in Gloucestershire.
(A. Dallimore, George Whitefield, Vol II, 1980; C.F. Stell,
Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, 1986)


Listing NGR: SO8589627615

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.