This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6856 / 51°41'8"N
Longitude: -2.1421 / 2°8'31"W
OS Eastings: 390275
OS Northings: 198552
OS Grid: ST902985
Mapcode National: GBR 1NF.C83
Mapcode Global: VH955.TWFN
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088838
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128328
Location: Cherington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Cherington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cherington St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 99 NW CHERINGTON CHERINGTON VILLAGE
Church of St. Nicholas
Parish church. C12 foundation; chancel rebuilt in mid C13, other
medieval alterations and two C19 restorations, 1816, and
particularly 1881. Rubble stone, squared on tower, Cotswold stone
slate roof except for nave lead roof. Chancel, nave with south
transept and north porch, west tower. Tower battlemented and in 3
stages, stepping in slightly at each offset. Twin square-headed
stone belfry louvres on top stage. West side has 3-light ogee
window on bottom stage and single-light ogee on middle stage.
Early English chancel with 3 lancets linked by string course to
north, 2 to south and 2-light Decorated in corner with transept.
Nave has 3-light ogee C19 windows flanking large gabled porch and
small quatrefoil adjoining chancel to north side, 2 large Decorated
windows also C19 on south side.
Interior: Shallow nave roof repitched c1500 of 4-bays with
chamfered tie-beams and Perpendicular arcading, supported on carved
struts on stone corbels. Early Plate tracery in east window with
small Norman piscina and C13 double piscina above. Low wide arch
to south transept with vestiges of mural paintings in reveal of
east window of transept. C18 communion rail. Many monuments of
C17 and C18, particularly wall mounted in chancel.
(David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - The
Cotswolds, 1979). - - -
Listing NGR: ST9026698550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings