History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rowland Hills Almshouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6395 / 51°38'22"N

Longitude: -2.3531 / 2°21'11"W

OS Eastings: 375660

OS Northings: 193467

OS Grid: ST756934

Mapcode National: GBR 0MD.5XB

Mapcode Global: VH95G.52C0

Entry Name: Rowland Hills Almshouses

Listing Date: 16 August 1984

Last Amended: 31 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088846

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128245

Location: Wotton-under-Edge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Wotton-under-Edge

Built-Up Area: Wotton-under-Edge

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Wotton-under-Edge with Ozleworth

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Wotton under Edge

Listing Text

ST 7693 WOTTON-UNDER-EDGE TABERNACLE PITCH

4/175 Nos 1 to 12
(Rowland Mills Alms
houses)

II

The address shall be amended to read;

ST 7693 WOTTON-UNDER-EDGE TABERNACLE PITCH

4/175 Nos 1 to 12
(Rowland Hills Alms
houses)
------------------------------------

ST 7693
4/175 WOTTON-UNDER-EDGE TABERNACLE PITCH

Nos 1 to 12
(Rowland Mills
Almshouses)

II


Almshouses. Dated 1887. Smooth rendered, some timber framing, and battened rubble
stone plinth to end pavilions; plain tile roofs. Long narrow row, in three units
stepped to ground slope; continuous open balcony access to single storey units,
fifteen bays in complex rhythm, series of gables, some with open framing. Balcony
rail with cross bracing and standards to gable supports in simple chamfered sections.
Wood casements in three lights and transom; glazing bars to top section first window
only. Simple four-panel doors.
Plaster wall tablet with decorative scrolls in gable end to street records 1887
rebuild of original 1815 foundation; replaced building now known as Streamsfield
(q.v.).


Listing NGR: ST7566093467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.