History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Avening Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Avening, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6797 / 51°40'46"N

Longitude: -2.1588 / 2°9'31"W

OS Eastings: 389113

OS Northings: 197888

OS Grid: ST891978

Mapcode National: GBR 1NF.M0C

Mapcode Global: VH95C.J1KQ

Entry Name: Avening Court

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Last Amended: 8 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088856

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128277

Location: Avening, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Avening

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Avening Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Avening

Listing Text

ST 89 NE AVENING
3/1 Avening House

The above item name shall be amended to read:
Avening court

------------------------------------

ST 89 NE AVENING -

3/1 Avening House
6.9.54
II


Manor house. Originally built as nunnery under Abbess of Caen in
late C11, remaining nunnery until mid C16. Considerably rebuilt in
late C16 by Brydges family, parts of this rebuilding still evident
particularly in the east end. Largely reworked to south and west
in late C19, with substantial refenestration, and large wing added
on west c1906. Coursed rubble stone, dressed in some areas,
particularly quoins and window embrasures. Cotswold stone slate
roof, scattered stone stacks, some with diagonally set multiple
flues. Complex plan, basically long E/W range with 2 wings to
south, and mainly 2 storeys and attic. Overall C19 Jacobean
Revival in style. Main entrance on north in single storey porch
with arched doorway. Large mullion and transom windows to wing on
right. To left, one 3-light window on ground and first floor,
large projecting wing with single large full height mullion and
transom window, C19 battlemented bow window at ground level, 3
storeyed cross gabled east end.
Interior: some medieval remains still visible. Much fine panelling
of C17 and C18 but mainly installed in C19. Similarly with several
very fine Jacobean stone fireplaces. Several fireplaces of C18
from Bowood. The house was completely derelict in 1979 when
purchased by current owner, and the interior has been completely
restored. (VCH, Gloucestershire, Volume XI, 1976).


Listing NGR: ST8911397888

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.