This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6387 / 51°38'19"N
Longitude: -2.3491 / 2°20'56"W
OS Eastings: 375938
OS Northings: 193380
OS Grid: ST759933
Mapcode National: GBR 0MF.6XM
Mapcode Global: VH95G.72HL
Entry Name: The Court
Listing Date: 16 August 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1088914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128099
Location: Wotton-under-Edge, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12
Civil Parish: Wotton-under-Edge
Built-Up Area: Wotton-under-Edge
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Wotton-under-Edge with Ozleworth
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
4/39 WOTTON-UNDER-EDGE CULVERHAY
Large detached house, one time Rectory. Early C18. Rendered rubble, stone parapet
cornice, stone slate roof. Tripartite main front centre with wide classical pediment
deep projecting portico, pilasters above; hipped roof with central flat in principal
block, right, and single span narrower block left. Four brick stacks with moulded
stone cappings. Two storey plus dormers, five, three, five windowed, all sashes with
glazing bars in wide surrounds and stone bull-nosed cills; central section venetian
window first floor, two sashes ground floor flanking six-panel door with decorative
fanlight. Dormers with hipped roofs, two light casements retaining rectangular leaded
glazing. Four-columned doric porch with responds, flat entablature. Good nineteenth
century staircase and staircase hall, panelled doors in deep reveals, modillion
cornice and classical detail generally some replacement but in keeping. Arched
opening with fluted pilasters, left. Panelled and painted room right of entrance
hall; and in study, back right.
Building of at least two major campaigns; mostly of ca.1727, but extension and
alteration, including main portico, about 1830. On glebe land, and known as Old
Rectory until change of name.
Listing NGR: ST7593893380
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings