This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7465 / 51°44'47"N
Longitude: -1.7088 / 1°42'31"W
OS Eastings: 420203
OS Northings: 205354
OS Grid: SP202053
Mapcode National: GBR 4S7.DTM
Mapcode Global: VHC04.BCHG
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089225
English Heritage Legacy ID: 127429
Location: Eastleach, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Eastleach
Built-Up Area: Eastleach Martin
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Eastleach St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
EASTLEACH EASTLEACH TURVILLE
13/181 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C12; C13 north transept, C14 tower. C17
alterations. Random rubble limestone; stone slate roof. Nave
with south porch and north transept; west tower and chancel. Fine
C12 south doorway with 2 orders of chevrons to round arch, inner
chevrons taken down jambs; billeted hoodmould. Carved tympanum
depicts Christ in Majesty with 2 angels. Scalloped capitals and
pellet ornament to abaci; carved shafts, left with pellet enriched
spiral, right with chevrons. C13 parapet gabled porch with square
sundial finial; internal stone seats and trefoil-headed east image
niche. C14 window with Decorated tracery to left of porch;
pointed window to right with central C17 mullion; raking buttress
at junction with chancel. Blocked arches of 2-bay north arcade,
each with C17 pointed window. North transept has 3-light
Decorated window in parapet gabled north end; two C13 lancets to
each side. C14 two-stage saddleback tower with 2-light belfry
openings having trefoil heads; further opening in apex of west
gable. Pilaster buttresses to partially roughcast rendered east
end of chancel. Continuous string course rises as hoodmould above
Early English triplet window. Blocked pointed archway on north
side of chancel (formerly leading to chapel) has one jamb with 2
attached shafts preserved under small lean-to hood; one shaft has
crocket capital, carved grotesque head to keeled shaft.
Limeswashed interior. Nave dominated by 3 bay north arcade.
Three-bay king post truss elm nave roof of 1909. Fine Early
English chancel arch with clustered shafts and interestingly carved
capitals. Contemporary multi-shafted east triplet, also with
carved capitals. 1909 three-bay hammer beam chancel roof. Small
north aumbry or piscina recess. C18 ledger slabs in chancel to
Saunders, Keble and Porter families. Hexagonal timber pulpit with
Jacobean panels. Reading desk dated '1632 RC WH'. Lectern with
vine trail shaft said to have come from Tewkesbury Abbey. Gothic
memorial above tower doorway to Benjamin Boyes, died 1814, by
Harvey of Fairford. C14 mortuary recess now concealed by organ in
transept has ballflower enrichment to cusped canopy.
(N.M. Herbert, 'Eastleach Turville' in V.C.H. Glos. vii, 1981, pp.
61-69; D. Verey, Cotswold Churches, 1976, and Gloucestershire:
The Cotswolds, 1979)
Listing NGR: SP2020505352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings