This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6812 / 51°40'52"N
Longitude: -2.0842 / 2°5'3"W
OS Eastings: 394273
OS Northings: 198053
OS Grid: ST942980
Mapcode National: GBR 2PV.FXB
Mapcode Global: VH95D.T0JH
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 November 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129436
Location: Rodmarton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Rodmarton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Rodmarton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
RODMARTON RODMARTON VILLAGE
ST 99 NW
6/137 Church of St. Peter
Anglican parish church. Probably Norman foundation, some surviving
work from C13 and C14, restored in 1862 and 1884. Coursed rubble
stone partially faced in roughcast, stone slate roof with coped
gables, old cross finial to west and kneelers, saddlestone to apex
of north transept gables. Nave with south porch, north transept,
south transeptal tower and spire with adjoining chapel, chancel.
West end of nave has embattled parapet on south side with string
course and carved heads at eaves level on both sides. South porch
has large pointed archway, leaning out on right hand side, 3-light
square-headed Perpendicular window to left, mass dial on quoin in
south-west corner. Similar 2-light window on north side with
blocked doorway below. Tower of 2 stages on plinth with recessed
octagonal spire rising from hipped lead roof and surmounted by
weathercock. Single square headed stone louvred belfry light to
each face and cross tiebar plates of C19 on upper stage, 2-light
early Decorated window to south on lower stage. South chapel has
3-light window with round-arched lights, and small priest's door
with ogee head, 3-light east window of C19 with flanking 2-light,
Perpendicular to north transept and Decorated to south chapel.
Interior has original arch braced collar beam roofs to both side
chapels. Series of wall tablets in chancel mostly to Lysons
family, vicars of Rodmarton for much of late C18 and early C19, and
large marble monument in south chapel to John Coxe, died 1730.
Arch between chancel and south chapel has panelled soffit in
Perpendicular style. (David Verey, Buildings of England-
Gloucestershire - The Cotswolds, (1979); and local Church Guide,
Listing NGR: ST9427398053
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings