History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Preston, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7068 / 51°42'24"N

Longitude: -1.9376 / 1°56'15"W

OS Eastings: 404405

OS Northings: 200893

OS Grid: SP044008

Mapcode National: GBR 3QZ.WFW

Mapcode Global: VHB2R.CCHF

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089268

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129414

Location: Preston, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Preston

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Preston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Ampney Crucis

Listing Text

PRESTON PRESTON VILLAGE
SP OO SW
(north side)
3/115 Church of All Saints
26.11.58
GV II*
Anglican Church. C13 and C14, restored in 1862. Random coursed
rubble stone with flush quoins, stone slate roof with coped gables,
and very fine tiered C14 bellcote to east end. West tower, nave
with transepts and south porch, chancel with small north vestry.
Perpendicular tower of 2 stages on plinth, with string course,
stepped diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet, small stair
tower in south east corner, double belfry lights on each face.
West face has Tudor-arch doorway and 3-light window above with two
carved heads over. South porch has large trefoil archway, coped
gable and small side buttresses, trefoil niche to right on inside.
Windows of different periods on each of three sides of south
transept and in south side of chancel. Three-light east window
with Early English surround. Nave roof of five bays with collar
beams and arched braces carried of C19 carved stone corbels. Small
stepped chancel arch, and plain chamfered transept arches, all of
C13. East side of chancel arch has three fine C13 wall tablets,
piscina and sedilia on south side remodelled in restoration,
encaustic tile floor of C19. Norman font. (David Verey, The
Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1979).)


Listing NGR: SP0440500893

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.