History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Coates, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7077 / 51°42'27"N

Longitude: -2.041 / 2°2'27"W

OS Eastings: 397261

OS Northings: 201000

OS Grid: SO972010

Mapcode National: GBR 2PJ.SY0

Mapcode Global: VHB2P.KBVP

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089306

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129301

Location: Coates, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Coates

Built-Up Area: Coates (Cotswold)

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Coates St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Rodmarton

Listing Text

COATES COATES VILLAGE
SO 90 SE
2/9 Church of St. Matthew
26.11.58
II*
Anglican parish church. Norman foundation with nave of C13 and
tower of C15, restored 1861 by John Norton. Coursed rubble stone,
stone slate roofs with coped verges and cross finials. West tower,
nave with south aisle and projecting south porch, and north
transept, chancel with small north vestry. Tower of 3 stages with
string courses, with carved heads on top string course, stepped
diagonal buttresses ending in pilaster strips and crocketed
pinnacles at corners of embattled parapet. Louvred belfry windows
with ogee crocketed arches and pinnacles. West face has square-
headed doorway at base, 3-light Perpendicular window over and niche
above on second stage. South west corner has anthropophagus and
niche in buttress. Stair tower in south-east angle. Two-light
Perpendicular windows with square hoodmould flanking south porch
which has inner Norman doorway with chevron arch, and 3-light E.E.
lancet at east end of south aisle. East window is Decorated with
flowing tracery, also 2-light windows on north side of nave.
Interior: 3-bay nave arcade with cylindrical columns with moulded
round capitals with water-holding bases. Trefoiled piscina of C13
in south aisle. Tall arch into tower with quadri-partite vault and
Tudor doorway to stair. Baptistery at south-west corner of aisle
has stone seat around 2 walls and Norman font. Chancel has double-
stepped round Norman arch on north wall and E.E. priest's door on
south side. Tile and mosaic reredos of C19. Some Tudor woodwork
survives in chancel screen. (David Verey, Buildings of England -
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979, and local information booklet
in church).


Listing NGR: SO9726101000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.