History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hatherop, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7444 / 51°44'39"N

Longitude: -1.7786 / 1°46'42"W

OS Eastings: 415384

OS Northings: 205095

OS Grid: SP153050

Mapcode National: GBR 4S4.M4G

Mapcode Global: VHB2N.4F34

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089446

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128922

Location: Hatherop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Hatherop

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Coln St Aldwyn St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Coln Saint Aldwyn

Listing Text

SP 10 NE HATHEROP HATHEROP VILLAGE
(south side)

2/77 Church of St. Nicholas

26.11.58
II*

Anglican parish church. Rebuilt 1854-55 by Henry Clutton,
assisted by William Burges, for Lord de Mauley. Coursed and
dressed rubble stone with quoins, tile or slate roofs. Nave with
north and south aisles, crossing tower and chancel, small north
porch and vestry, and south mortuary chapel. Perpendicular style
with French Gothic influences. Tower has long 2-light belfry
openings on each face, carved head corbel table and steep
saddleback roof with coped verges with end saddlestones and top
roll moulding. Weathervane on ridge. Clock to north below
belfry, to west above corbel table. Nave of 5 bays with
clerestorey to both sides with 2-light Perpendicular windows with
arched hoodmoulds, parapet wall pierced with cusped quatrefoils set
within square frames and with aedicule and statue in centre on west
end. North porch has pierced small quatrefoil parapet and niche
over large square doorway with colonnettes recessed in jambs and
quatrefoil with mouchettes in spandrels, flanking stepped
buttresses. South chapel has similar pierced small quatrefoil
parapet on south side, 3 quatrefoil windows and deep French Gothic
doorway with high relief carved moulding stops. To either end are
stepped buttresses with steeply crossed gable on lowest step and
animal gargoyles over.
Interior: 3 bay arcade with faceted or cylindrical piers and 5 bay
Perpendicular rafter roof supported on carved stone corbel heads.
South chapel has 3-bay quadripartite vault, very richly carved
frieze and capitals, and contains marble effigy of Barbara de
Mauley (died 1844), by Raffaelle Monti of 1848 with flanking angel
figures. Very fine stained glass throughout by O'Connor, and
Lavers, Barraud and Westlake. Matching pulpit and font with fine
diaper work and raised leaf carving. (David Verey, Buildings of
England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979.)


Listing NGR: SP1538405095

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.