This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9696 / 51°58'10"N
Longitude: -1.8734 / 1°52'24"W
OS Eastings: 408793
OS Northings: 230133
OS Grid: SP087301
Mapcode National: GBR 3MZ.F60
Mapcode Global: VHB1F.GRZG
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 25 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 128707
Location: Cutsdean, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Cutsdean
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Temple Guiting St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
CUTSDEAN CUTSDEAN VILLAGE
SP 03 SE
2/69 Church of St. James
Anglican parish church. Rebuilt 1863 with the exception of the
probably C14 west tower. Nave and chancel; coursed squared and
dressed limestone. Tower large coursed, squared and dressed
limestone blocks, concrete tile roof with limestone gable coping.
Plan: west tower with ground floor functioning as porch; nave and
chancel. Tower buttressed on north and south with embattled
parapet with string below and gargoyles at each corner. 2-light
belfry windows with blind vesicas on all 4 sides. East window now
blocked and partially obscured. Double plank door in west end
within flat-chamfered surround. Single light with cinquefoil head
carved spandrels and diamond-leaded panes above. Nave; 2-
windowed; paired lights with pointed heads divided by a central
stone-mullion. Small stone plaque between windows of north wall
inscribed: To the Memory / of Izod Payer who died at Jamaica / the
16 Day of june A.D. 1764 / Aged 24 Years. Flat gable coping and
roll-cross saddles with upright cross finials at east end of
chancel and nave.
Interior: simple flat-chamfered arch from tower to nave. Step up
to chancel with similar arch over. C19 scissor braced roof to
nave and chancel. Red and black tile floor to all. C19 stained
glass in south windows of nave and east window of chancel.
Fittings: small C17 chalice type octagonal stone font at west end
of nave. C19 pews lectern and pulpit on a stone base. C19
communion rail with wrought iron foliate decoration. Three C19
paraffin lamps suspended from nave and chancel roof. Four C19-C20
bronze plaques in nave (David Verey, The Buildings of England: The
Listing NGR: SP0879330133
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings