History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II Listed Building in Sapperton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7224 / 51°43'20"N

Longitude: -2.1152 / 2°6'54"W

OS Eastings: 392140

OS Northings: 202641

OS Grid: SO921026

Mapcode National: GBR 2P7.S3N

Mapcode Global: VH950.9Y4Y

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089675

English Heritage Legacy ID: 128354

Location: Sapperton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL6

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Sapperton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Sapperton St Kenelm

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chalford

Listing Text

SO 90 SW SAPPERTON FRAMPTON MANSELL


1/78 Church of St. Luke


26.11.58

II


Anglican Chapel of ease. 1844 by J. Parish. Coursed and dressed
rubble stone with Cotswold stone-slate roof and coped gables with
cross finials. Single block with apsidal chancel and tower on
south west corner. Romanesque style. Tower of 4 stages with
off-sets, and vestigial angle buttresses on lower 2 stages.
Single step round arch entrance to south with impost blocks and
chamfered jambs; 3rd stage has round headed slit window facing
south; belfry on 4th stage has open twin arches on all sides;
hipped and sprocketed tile roof with weathervane. Nave of 5 bays,
each with single light round arch window recessed in arch, the
whole recessed in a rectangular panel with a line of modillions at
the top, weathered sill and continuous off-set below. Apsidal
chancel has 5 similar but narrower windows and conical roof with
the line of modillions now joined to form a decorative Lombard
frieze along the top of the panels. Projecting rafters at eaves
all round. West window is tripartite with centre round arch
higher and with moulded architraves and impost blocks linking 3
windows.
Interior: hammer beam roof on carved corbels with wind bracing.
Apse has 6 ribs joining at a boss carved with a cross motif,
supported on colonnettes with carved capitals and low corbels.
Simple geometrical stained glass.


Listing NGR: SO9214002641

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.