This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6644 / 51°39'51"N
Longitude: -2.2639 / 2°15'49"W
OS Eastings: 381844
OS Northings: 196217
OS Grid: ST818962
Mapcode National: GBR 0M4.QF8
Mapcode Global: VH959.QF1D
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 6 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089708
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130418
Location: Kingscote, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8
Civil Parish: Kingscote
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Newington Bagpath with Kingscote
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
KINGSCOTE KINGSCOTE VILLAGE
12/103 Church of St. John the Baptist
Anglican parish church. Early English origin, with tower of Perpendicular period, completely restored 1851 by S.S. Teulon. Random coursed stone with coursed stone transept of C19 and ashlar west tower, stone slate roof with chamfered stone eaves to nave and chancel and coped gable ends with saddlestones and cross finials. West tower, nave with north porch and transept, chancel with north vestry. Tower of 3 stages with plinth and stringcourses, stepped angle buttresses up to second stage, square stair vice on north side, embattled parapet with turret to stair vice, ogee-headed perforated belfry lights to top stage. West face has 2-light pointed arch window over segmental pointed arch with square hoodmould. Plain gabled north porch, blind arcading to parapet of transept and lower vestry, with crocketed corner pinnacles to shallow gable of transept. C19 two-light windows to nave and 3-light to east with rerearch. INTERIOR retains plain double chamfered chancel and tower arches and north doorway. C19 rafter roof with cross braced principals, and west gallery with blind arcading, and C19 fittings. Chancel screen inscribed "Anthony Kingscote 1615", and chancel has many fine wall monuments to Kingscote family.
SOURCE: David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire - the Cotswolds, (1979)
Listing NGR: ST8184496217
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings