History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kingscote Family Enclosure in North East Corner of Churchyard of Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingscote, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6644 / 51°39'52"N

Longitude: -2.2636 / 2°15'48"W

OS Eastings: 381866

OS Northings: 196218

OS Grid: ST818962

Mapcode National: GBR 0M4.QJK

Mapcode Global: VH959.QF6D

Entry Name: Kingscote Family Enclosure in North East Corner of Churchyard of Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 16 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089709

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130420

Location: Kingscote, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Kingscote

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Newington Bagpath with Kingscote

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Kingscote

Listing Text

KINGSCOTE KINGSCOTE VILLAGE
ST 8196
12/105 Kingscote family enclosure in
north east corner of churchyard
of Church of St. John the Baptist
GV II*

Formerly railed enclosure of Kingscote family tombs, with base of
railing only remaining on churchyard side, including about a dozen
varying tombs of which the main ones are as follows, in limestone:
mid C19 monument in form of high cross on stepped octagonal base to
several members of Kingscote family. Three chest tombs: 1)
Troylus Kingscote 1656" --- WHO DID SERVICE AS A / COMMANDER FOR
THE PRINCE / OF ORANGE ----", with dentil capping, corner columns
with fluted ends and side panels flanking central rectangular side
panels. 2) Anthony Kingscote 1654, also with corner columns and
large inscribed slate panel to south side. 3) Unidentified,
probably late C17/early C18, with large cherub figures flanking
side panels. Triangular obelisk of 1740 with Latin inscription,
on tall hexagonal moulded plinth, with obelisk embellished with
coats of arms. Angel statue to Georgina Sumner 1835 with heart-
shaped bronze plaque in front on ground. Ledger slab with heart-
shaped bronze plaque to Ann Kingscote 1657. Coffin tomb, probably
late medieval. Some of the tombs very overgrown at time of survey
(March 1986), but forming a very varied and unusual family group of
high quality.


Listing NGR: ST8186696218

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.