History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Broadwell, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9475 / 51°56'50"N

Longitude: -1.7097 / 1°42'34"W

OS Eastings: 420049

OS Northings: 227701

OS Grid: SP200277

Mapcode National: GBR 4PQ.SP5

Mapcode Global: VHBZ5.B90X

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089777

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130183

Location: Broadwell, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Broadwell

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Broadwell St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Broadwell

Listing Text

BROADWELL BROADWELL VILLAGE
SP 2027
9/70 Church of St. Paul
25.8.60
GV II*
Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C17, C20, restoration 1860.
North wall of nave coursed, squared and dressed limestone with an
area of large coursed squared and finely dressed blocks towards the
east end. Chancel; limestone rubble, coursed squared and dressed
limestone where rebuilt at east end. South aisle, porch and tower,
coursed, squared and dressed limestone with large dressed quoins.
Stone slate roof. Plan: nave with south aisle with projecting
porch, chancel with vestry on south, west tower. C13 South aisle;
C17 two-light stone-mullioned window with cavetto chamfers, stilted
headed lights, carved spandrels and geometric leaded panes at west
end. Single light flat-chamfered lancet left of porch with
geometric leaded panes. 4-light, double-chamfered, stone-mullioned
casement right of porch similar to that at west end of south aisle.
C14, two-light rectangular stone-mullioned window with ogee headed
lights and stopped hood right, animal head stop on right. C14 2-
light pointed window with ogee headed lights, vesica and stopped
hood at east end of south aisle. C17 porch with flat-chamfered
round arch with hood. Stone benches along side walls within porch.
2 large sculptured fragments with foliate decoration in relief, one
with a pair of swords, probably medieval grave slabs. Small Saxo-
Norman sculptured fragment with interlocking circles and pellet
decoration built into left-hand wall. C20 plank door with
decorative hinges within double-chamfered pointed arched surround
with stopped hood. Nave north wall; four C19 pointed 2-light
windows with Decorated tracery. Roll-moulded corbel table. Single
clamp buttress far left. Chancel with C12 fabric remaining up to
string; angle buttresses at east end, clamp buttresses on north.
C19, 3-light, pointed window with Decorated tracery at east end,
hood with stops in the form of a Bishop's and King's head. 2-light
C19 pointed window with Decorated tracery in south wall. Single
light flat-chamfered round-headed window (restored) in north wall
towards east end, 2-light C19 pointed window with Decorated tracery
and hood with carved head stops. Dentil decoration along eaves
cornice on north and south. Late C19 entrance to tower in angle
between stair turret at north west corner of tower and tower. C19
plank door with reused finely carved C12 semi-circular tympanum
forming lintel with geometric rosette patterns within central
sunken semi-circle. Interlocking semi-circles form part of upper
margin, chequerboard decoration along bottom. 3 stage Perpendicular
tower with diagonal buttresses and embattlemented parapet. C19, 2-
light Decorated west window with stopped hood. Two-light belfry
windows to third stage on all 4 sides of tower. Single lancet
below belfry window on south. Roof; slightly stepped gable coping
to south aisle, nave, chancel and porch. Upright cross finial at
apex of porch gable.
Interior: C13 nave arcade of 4 bays with cylindrical piers on
square bases where pier meets base, engaged semi-circular column
forms part of respond at west end of nave arcade. Double-
chamfered, pointed arches to nave arcade. Tall, pointed double-
chamfered arch between nave and base of tower. C13 double-
chamfered chancel arch with imposts. Large probably C19 squint
right of chancel arch. C14 piscina with credence shelf within left
reveal of window in south wall of south aisle towards east end.
Pointed canopy over piscina with crocketing and finials to either
side. Roll moulding around interior of chancel. Reset, trefoil-
headed C13 piscina in south wall. Doorless aumbry in wall
opposite. Nave roof; C19 pointed arched trusses rising up to
collar from wall posts. Chancel roof similar but painted and
gilded, with wall posts supported by corbels either with foliate
decoration or carved head. C19 stained glass in windows of
chancel, east window of south aisle and adjacent window in south
wall. Fittings: early C15 octagonal stone font with quatrefoil
decoration adjacent to south door. C19 stone pulpit in north-east
corner of nave. C19 pews, choir stalls and altar table. Monuments
in south aisle from west; monument to Herbert Weston, died 1635,
his wife and child comprising alabaster figures. Kneeling at a
prayer desk under a Renaissance canopy flanked by free-standing
columns. Painted heraldic shield above flanked by pointed finials.
Classical style monument to Robert Hunckes left, died 1565.
Original inscription now illegible, monument comprises a limestone
tablet with raised edges flanked by free-standing Ionic columns
with rectangular pediment over and painted coat of arms within a
semi-circle above. C-17 slate tablet to members of the Hodges
family with open segmental limestone pediment over at east end of
south aisle. Heraldic brass to Piers Thursby, died 1904 on north
wall of nave. Two C13 monuments on north wall of chancel one to
Emily Dryden, died 1843. White on black marble monument to John
Frodsham, died 1791 and Anne his wife died 1830, right. 2 black
marble wall tablets in vestry one C19 to Reverend Richard Harvey,
died 1814, one to Richard Jonson died 1674 and Jonson Makapeth with
segmental limestone pediment over and latin inscription. Several
recumbent ledger stones in floor of nave and aisle, the most
notable being that in south aisle to Anthony Hodges and family C17-
Cl8. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds, 1979).


Listing NGR: SP2004927701

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.