History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Henry and Harman Grisewood Monument in the Churchyard of the Church of St Peter Circa 4 1/2 Metres East of East End of Chancel

A Grade II Listed Building in Adlestrop, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.931 / 51°55'51"N

Longitude: -1.6477 / 1°38'51"W

OS Eastings: 424322

OS Northings: 225891

OS Grid: SP243258

Mapcode National: GBR 5R9.XZC

Mapcode Global: VHBZ6.DQ9K

Entry Name: Henry and Harman Grisewood Monument in the Churchyard of the Church of St Peter Circa 4 1/2 Metres East of East End of Chancel

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089801

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130136

Location: Adlestrop, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL56

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Adlestrop

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Kingham and Daylesford

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adlestrop

Listing Text

ADLESTROP DAYLESFORD VILLAGE
SP 22 NW
4/24 Henry and Harman Grisewood monument
in the churchyard of the Church of
St. Peter c 4.5m east of east end
of chancel
GV II
Monument on right to Henry Grisewood, died 1874, Anne his wife died
1893 and their sons Frederick died 1876 and Henry died 1886.
Monument on left to Harman Grisewood died 1871. Limestone. Henry
Grisewood monument; recumbent stone with raised central ridge
running east-west. Upright monument at west end of Henry
Grisewood on square plinth with moulded capping. Inscriptions
within pointed blind arches flanked by columns with foliate
capitals on east and west faces of monument above, female figures
one leaning on an anchor, one holding a lily within arches on north
and south sides respectively, foliate decoration in spandrels,
moulded capping above with brattishing. Conical spirelet above
with cross finial at apex. Monument to Harman Grisewood c2m
south; recumbent stone with raised central ridge, square cross
shaft on stepped square base at west end. Figure of angel within
gabled niche half-way up shaft. Harman Grisewood was patron to
the building of the Church of St. Peter (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SP2432225891

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.