This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8771 / 51°52'37"N
Longitude: -1.8896 / 1°53'22"W
OS Eastings: 407697
OS Northings: 219839
OS Grid: SP076198
Mapcode National: GBR 3P3.92N
Mapcode Global: VHB20.62DW
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 26 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089851
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130052
Location: Hazleton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Hazleton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Shipton Oliffe St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
HAZLETON SALPERTON PARK
SP 01 NE
5/54 Church of All Saints
Anglican church (of former parish of Salperton). C12, Early
English and Perpendicular, restored by Higgs and Rudkin 1885. Nave
north wall; random squared and dressed limestone. Nave south
wall; rubble with dressed stone quoins. Chancel; coursed
limestone rubble, dressed quoins. Tower; ashlar. Porch and
vestry; coursed squared limestone and dressed quoins. Stone slate
roof. Nave with north porch, and vestry projecting from south wall
towards west end, tower at west end of nave chancel. Church
exterior: Nave north wall; vestiges blocked, pointed window with
tracery, far left. C19 two-light stone-mullioned window with
quatrefoil right. C20 plank door within porch within plain round-
headed C12 surround. Perpendicular porch with pointed arched
entrance with concave moulding and hood with stops in the form of a
knight's and king's head. Carved head on gable above arch. Stone
bench seats within porch. Image niche set above seat along east
wall with crocketed canopy and brattished string at top. Nave
south wall; 2 and 3-light hollow-moulded stone-mullioned, possibly
Tudor, windows with carved spandrels and Tudor-arched heads.
Stopped hood over right-hand window. Blocked pointed window partly
obscured by C19 vestry left. Single window with stilted-headed
surround with stopped hood in gable end of vestry, chimney at
north-west corner. Chancel south wall; small blocked Early
English window with Early English lancet above. Two-light C19
stone-mullioned window right with quatrefoil at apex. Pointed C19
three-light east window with cinquefoil-headed lights and tracery.
Two stage Perpendicular tower with moulded plinth and diagonal
buttresses. String course between the stages. Two-light stone-
mullioned belfry windows with stone slate louvres, carved head
below west window. Battlemented parapet with beasts' head
gargoyles offset from corners on north and south sides. Small
round-headed west window with leaded panes.
Church interior; plastered (except nave north wall). Chancel arch
of c1120 with two orders on corbelled abaci and scalloped capitals.
Early Perpendicular arch from nave to tower. C19 wagon roof to
nave. C19 seven-facetted roof to chancel. Stone flag floors.
Small round-headed aumbry in splay of window in south wall of
chancel. Blocked 4-centred arched doorway within blocking of
pointed window on nave south wall. Furniture and fittings; C19
pews. C20 wooden pulpit. C19 font with square bowl and engaged
columns around base. Monuments; one C19 and one C18 monument on
nave south wall, both to members of the Browne family. Fine mid
C18 marble monument to John and Mary Browne, died 1782, left of
south door with sarcophagus with two urns at top, cartouche and
coloured marble inlay at bottom. C19 and late C18 marble monuments
to members of the Browne family in chancel, one by Wood of
Cheltenham, one by R. Cooke of London. Sepulchral stone with
foliated cross, c1300, at base of tower. Stained glass erected in
memory of John Browne, died 1850 and Martha, his wife, died 1843 in
chancel east window, inscription on sill of window. Windows in
nave south wall have glass by Kempe and Tower. Hatchment with
painted arms of George III over chancel arch.
(David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: SP0769719839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings