History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Andrew's Parish Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Naunton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9092 / 51°54'33"N

Longitude: -1.8383 / 1°50'17"W

OS Eastings: 411220

OS Northings: 223419

OS Grid: SP112234

Mapcode National: GBR 3NS.B1H

Mapcode Global: VHB1V.380R

Entry Name: St Andrew's Parish Church

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Last Amended: 16 July 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089861

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129977

Location: Naunton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Naunton

Built-Up Area: Naunton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Naunton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Naunton

Listing Text

NAUNTON
SP 1123
St Andrew's Parish Church
8/93 (previously listed as
Church of St Andrew )
25.8.60

GV II*

C13, rebuilt c.1500, tower C15; restored 1878 and re-floored and repaired 1899.
Built in Cotswold stone, with ashlar tower; Cotswold stone roof. Plan: west
tower, 5 bay nave with shorter north aisle and short south porch dated 1878; 2
bay chancel with C19 vestry to NE. Three stage tower with diagonal buttresses to
1st two and corner piers to upper stage; crenellated parapet with corner pin-
nacles; corner gargoyles and curved head stops to Perp belfry window labels; 2
painted sundials at SW corner, one dated 1748, the other inscribed 'Lux Umbra
Dei'. On south side square head windows of 3 Tudor arch lights, one to west of
Tudor-arch priest's door, blocked with reused probably earlier material. East
window restored in 1878 in Perpendicular style. North aisle of 2 wide bays:
Tudor arch west window with crude headstops and simple 3-light glazing; east win-
dow on north wall a good example of provincial flat-headed Perp tracery with cus-
ping and sub-lights and with diagonal stops to label. The Church is entered by a
tall Tudor arch south doorway. The interior is stripped; the main feature is
the wide span of the 2 bay north arcade with a hollow-chamfere pier. No chancel
arch; arch-braced 7 bay roof, possibly C17, the north aisle roof C19; tall
moulded tower arch, with C19 octagonal font in Perpendicular style below it.
C15 or early C16 pulpit, octagonal with tracery resembling east window on north
side of aisle. Cross on west wall of nave believed to be Anglo-Saxon. The floor
tiling (1899) is especially rich in the sanctuary. Wall monument on north side
of chancel to Ambrose Oldys, died 1720, with reference to his father killed by
the 'rebels' (Parliamentarians): a grey marble aedicule with broken segmental
pediment and central tablet flanked by morning cherubs. Three C16 brass tomb
plaques.


Listing NGR: SP1122023419

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.