History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Condicote, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9533 / 51°57'11"N

Longitude: -1.7808 / 1°46'50"W

OS Eastings: 415160

OS Northings: 228331

OS Grid: SP151283

Mapcode National: GBR 4PM.DM9

Mapcode Global: VHB1P.25XG

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 25 August 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089911

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129884

Location: Condicote, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Condicote

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Condicote St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Condicote

Listing Text

CONDICOTE
SP 12 NE
3/1 Church of St Nicholas
25.8.60 II*
GV

Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 nave and chancel with C15 remodelling, restored
(heavily) 1888 by Mark Hookham of Stow-on-the-Wold. Rubble with Cotswold stone
roof. Small 3-bay nave with gabled south porch (of 1888), bay chancel heavily
buttressed to south and with vestry to North. The West gable end is capped
by a single bellcote (1888) but retains 3 enriched strings with chevron (below),
pellet (centre) and double cable (upper), as well as central wall buttress below
central lancet; it is largely built in ashlar. The South wall may have been
rebuilt in C15; it retains a C12 eaves string and has a 3-light square head
window with rectilinear tracery. The South door is richly ornamented: 2 orders
of nook-shafts, inner ones twisted on chevron bases, scallop caps; label of
saltire crosses, the outer order is of projecting chevron, the inner of cable,
and bead. The tympanum is decorated with a diaper of chip-carved crosses, as
at Aston Blank and Upper Slaughter, over a larger similar lintel in a surround
of chevron on a roll-mould and hollow jambs. The chancel has corner and 2 added
buttresses and dado string. To South blocked central window, 2-light plate-
tracery window without label with off-centre low-side window below it. The 2
round headed lancets in East wall were restored in 1888 (pace BOE). On North
side a string with plain chevron ornament. The North wall of the nave has a
moulded string, but has been remodelled, fragments probably from North door
in porch.
Interior scraped and 2 steps down. Chancel arch (rebuilt?) pointed with keeled
roll-mould, hollow outer chevron order and label of saltire grosses, the nook
shafts are reserved within chevron jambs, scallop caps, pelletted imposts; on
chancel side the archway is plainer with saltire crosses, the chamfered jambs
suggesting a remodelling date of c.1200. The chancel has a c.1200 string, pointed
piscina with broken projecting lip on crude-head corbel and chaumbries. Panelled
(re-used C17?) reredos. Marble wall monument on N side of chancel to John Payne
(died 1813). Font octagonal on heavy stem, possibly C14, moulded lip; Verey
suggests that it is C15 and cut back from circular bowl.

Listing NGR: SP1516028331

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.