History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ampney St. Peter, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7124 / 51°42'44"N

Longitude: -1.8829 / 1°52'58"W

OS Eastings: 408186

OS Northings: 201520

OS Grid: SP081015

Mapcode National: GBR 3R1.QR3

Mapcode Global: VHB2S.97Y4

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 26 November 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129827

Location: Ampney St. Peter, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Ampney St. Peter

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Ampney St Peter with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Ampney Crucis

Listing Text

SP 00 SE AMPNEY ST. PETER AMPNEY ST. PETER VILLAGE
(east side)

5/84 Church of St. Peter

26.ll.58

GV II*

Small Anglican parish church. Late Saxon foundation, with late
C12/early C13 and C15 work, restored and extended in 1878 by Sir
George Gilbert Scott. Coursed rubble stone with alternating flush
quoins, plinth to tower and C19 additions, stone slate roof with
coped east verges and cross finials. West tower with nave and
chancel, with north aisle vestry and porch added by Scott. West
tower in 3 stages with string course below top stage with shallow
pitched roof between raised verges. Low diagonal buttresses, small
round-arched 3-light window to west with small rectangular lights
on upper stages. Two small lights and sundial on south side. South
side of nave has stone cornice immediately below eaves with central
grotesque carved head gutter hole. Two inserted Perpendicular
windows - 2-light trefoil headed to left, and 3-light arch headed
to right in deep splayed reveal - flanking central blocked
shouldered arch doorway with chamfered jambs. South side of
chancel has small rectangular lights, Tudor-arched priest's door,
and 2-light Perpendicular window with deeply cusped trefoil-headed
lights. Low diagonal buttresses and Perpendicular-style 3-light at
east end. Small single Norman lancets inserted in north wall of
chancel and in Scott's north aisle. Large embattled porch on
north-west corner with elaborate traceried 2-light over on west
wall of aisle.
Interior: 4-bay nave roof with collar beams supported on arched
braces. Round-headed tower arch of through stones resting on plain
chamfered imposts, Norman chancel arch with plain chamfer and stops
and billeted hoodmould. Rood loft stairs preserved on north wall,
with double piscina with credence shelf on south side. Two-bay
pointed arcade into north aisle. Early Saxon carving on north wall
at west end. C15 font. Reredos of carved alabaster, 1887.
(D. Verey, Buildings of England; Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds,
1979)

Listing NGR: SP0818601520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.