History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Down Ampney Church of England Controlled School

A Grade II Listed Building in Down Ampney, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6737 / 51°40'25"N

Longitude: -1.8564 / 1°51'22"W

OS Eastings: 410028

OS Northings: 197225

OS Grid: SU100972

Mapcode National: GBR 3RN.5GC

Mapcode Global: VHB2Z.R6Z8

Entry Name: Down Ampney Church of England Controlled School

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089935

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129842

Location: Down Ampney, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Down Ampney

Built-Up Area: Down Ampney

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Down Ampney All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Meysey Hampton

Listing Text

SU 19 NW DOWN AMPNEY DOWN AMPNEY VILLAGE
(north side)

9/99 Down Ampney Church of England
Controlled School

GV II

Primary school. 1853, built for Earl of Ducie, enlarged in 1880's.
Coursed and squared stone on offset plinth with alternating flush
quoins, stone slate roof with coped verges. Single main range of
tall single storey and projecting stepped bell tower, with lower
additional wing set back to right with large projecting gabled
porch. Main building has 5-light stone mullions flanking bell
tower which has wooden cover to bell, and clock on south face below
which is inscribed with verse: "Make haste / when I chime / No
waste / like that of time". Stepped 3-light window on left hand
return. Porch has arched stone doorway with wide plank door and
inscription above from Psalm 34, verse 11. Room behind, added as
infant room in 1880's, has right end stone stack. Small rear
outshut to main block.

Listing NGR: SU1002897225

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.