History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Morgan Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.708 / 51°42'28"N

Longitude: -1.7728 / 1°46'21"W

OS Eastings: 415797

OS Northings: 201050

OS Grid: SP157010

Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.W1V

Mapcode Global: VHB2V.7B5J

Entry Name: Morgan Hall

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089970

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129728

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Fairford

Listing Text

SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD LONDON ROAD
(south side) East End

13/171 Morgan Hall (formerly included
in East End)
4.6.52
II

Large detached house set back from road. Late C16 (recorded as
Bakers in 1590), refaced in C18 and enlarged to east. Rubble
stone, faced in roughcast to north west, and in render on late C18
wing, with raised alternating quoins, hipped stone slate roof both
ranges, large ashlar stacks. Long E-shape range of 2 storeys and
attic, with single C18 wing on north east end of 2 storeys. West
front has 2-light C18 casements in moulded stone architraves, to
both floors along whole of west side, occasionally with timber
lintel and no architrave. Stone doorcase in northernmost arm of E
with pilasters, plain frieze, and moulded cornice, and recessed 6-
panel door, 4 fielded, lower 2 flush, in 2 leaves, with sundial
over. Southernmost arm appears to have been altered or is possibly
later. East side of original range has similar casement
fenestration, 4 windows, some 3-light, and 3 hipped dormers. C18
range on plinth has 4 large 12-pane sashes in moulded architraves
matching earlier ones, 3 on ground floor with door in bay 2 from
left formed by adding solid piece of wood to lower sash. Internal
shutters remain and some panelling in this wing, panelling also
intact in ground floor room in north west corner of original range.
Interior otherwise inaccessible. Reputed to have been a
Cromwellian stronghold during the Civil War.

Listing NGR: SP1579701050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.