History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bull Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7079 / 51°42'28"N

Longitude: -1.7818 / 1°46'54"W

OS Eastings: 415173

OS Northings: 201037

OS Grid: SP151010

Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SFH

Mapcode Global: VHB2V.2BDL

Entry Name: The Bull Hotel

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129751

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Fairford

Listing Text

SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD MARKET PLACE
(west side)

13/194 The Bull Hotel

4.6.52

GV II

Inn. Core probably of late C16, recorded as an inn by mid C17,
enlarged to north in early C18 and again in later C18 or early C19.
Coursed rubble stone, with large tooled flush quoins and band to
left marking earliest section, mostly slate roof to front, stone
slate at right hand end, artificial stone slates to main part of
rear roof, slate on attached outbuildings, scattered brick stacks.
Long single front range with rear wing to right, infilled wing in
centre and outbuildings, former stables to left. Mostly 2 storeys
and attic. Oldest part to left originally of 2 storeys, at lower
level than adjoining part, with central chamfered stone Tudor
archway with renewed plank door and flanking small single lights
with splayed reveals. Two 12-pane sashes above with original thick
glazing bars, probably of C17, and curved wall of newel stair to
right with small 6-pane light, ending at tooled stone band. Raised
up to second floor with 2 later 12-pane sashes. Central section
has 4 gabled dormers through eaves with 6-pane sashes, and 4 early
12-pane sashes on first floor with thick glazing bars, 2 large
canted bays on ground floor probably of late C18 or early C19 with
sashes of 8/16/8-panes to left and 8/12/8 to right. Central
shallow, wide hipped porch with glazed double doors probably of
C20. To right, possibly originally a separate house now
incorporated with 2 gabled dormers on eaves and central dormer
through eaves with fixed 12-pane light. Dormers with paired
casements. Two 12-pane sashes on first floor. Early C20 square
bay to right on ground floor and small 12-pane probably in former
doorway to left. Interior retains many original chamfered beams
and chamfered joists on ground floor, and newel stair survives.

Listing NGR: SP1517301037

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.