This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7021 / 51°42'7"N
Longitude: -1.7917 / 1°47'29"W
OS Eastings: 414494
OS Northings: 200388
OS Grid: SP144003
Mapcode National: GBR 4SP.9TH
Mapcode Global: VHB2T.WHP1
Entry Name: Burdocks
Listing Date: 9 March 1982
Last Amended: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129753
Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Fairford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/03/2016
MARSTON MAISEY LANE (east side)
(Formerly listed as Claremont House, previously listed as 'Claremont' and 'Gateposts Claremont and Quadrant Entrance Wall')
Country house. 1911 by Sir E. Guy Dawber for J. Reade. Cotswold Queen Anne style. Local coursed and dressed stone with modillion eaves cornice, hipped stone slate roof, plain large stone stacks. L-shape, 2 storeys and attic. Main elevation to garden has 7 windows, 12-pane sashes with keystone and sloping voussoirs, with central three breaking forward under pediment with keyed oculus. Large central moulded stone doorway with dropped keystone, pulvinated frieze, and moulded cornice on consoles. Seven dormers with flat roofs and moulded wood cornices. Entrance front of 5 windows, central 3 set back. Central stone doorcase with Ionic columns, entablature and pediment, rusticated door surround with door of 8 fielded panels, lower 4 forming an X shape. Lower service wing to east, linked by wall with arched door to outbuildings (not included), and with single-storey extension ending at north east corner with small square pyramidal roofed pavilion. Coursed stone wall with clay ridge tile coping extends north from both sides of house with small break to west for garden and larger on east for yard, ending in small central quadrant to north with large square piers on moulded plinth, with moulded stone cornice and large ball finials with vermiculated bands. Wall approximately 2.8m high, piers nearly 4m high. The house is set in formal grounds with yew hedges and fountains and is a good example of early C20 taste.
(Architectural Review, 1923)
Listing NGR: SP1449400388
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings