History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7103 / 51°42'36"N

Longitude: -1.784 / 1°47'2"W

OS Eastings: 415017

OS Northings: 201304

OS Grid: SP150013

Mapcode National: GBR 4SH.RRV

Mapcode Global: VHB2V.186R

Entry Name: Mill House

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Last Amended: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089982

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129757

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Quenington

Listing Text

SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD MILL LANE
(north side)

13/200 Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Mill House
(formerly listed as Fairford Mill)

4.6.52

GV II

Former mill on River Coln, now divided into 3 houses. Early/mid
C17, extended in 1827 and altered in mid C19. Coursed rubble
stone, with alternating flush quoins to C19 work, stone slate roof,
ashlar stacks, those of C19 very large with offset and moulded
cornice. Originally probably single main range with cross wing to
right, extended to left and front. Two storeys or single storey
and attic. Main front (now No 2) has 2 small gables to right each
with C19 two-light stone mullions and square hoodmould with leaded
casements. One similar 3-light below to right and one original 3-
light to left, with plain chamfered flush stone doorway between.
Two rows of dove perch holes below eaves to left and small single
light. Cross wing to right (now No 1) has similar C19
fenestration. Left hand wing dated 1827 and front range with
similar fenestration, Tudor-arch doorway in angle with No 2 and
remains of mill race below. Rear facade of Nos 1 and 2 have 7
hipped dormers (2 and 5 respectively). There has been a mill
recorded on this site since late C11.

Listing NGR: SP1501701304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.