History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The White Hart

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7075 / 51°42'27"N

Longitude: -1.7818 / 1°46'54"W

OS Eastings: 415171

OS Northings: 201000

OS Grid: SP151010

Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SD9

Mapcode Global: VHB2V.2BCV

Entry Name: The White Hart

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Last Amended: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1089990

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129675

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Fairford

Listing Text

SP 1401-1501 & FAIRFORD BRIDGE STREET
SP 1400-1500 (south side)

13/119 & 14/119 The White Hart (formerly included
in Market Place as the "White Hart
4.6.52 Inn")

GV II

Inn. Reputed to date from 1475, recorded as inn from 1750; fabric
now mostly C17 and later. Rubble or random coursed rubble stone
with large flush quoins to west end, stone slate roof to front,
some slate and artificial stone slate to rear, various stacks
including 2 external stacks on west end and with one stone ridge
stack with decorative cornice probably of C17. Very long range
along street, now incorporating former cottages and small stable-
type building at east end, but formerly ending with range including
cross gabled wing. Mostly 2 storeys, with small rear wing at west
end and lean-to across part of rear of main section. At west end,
2 small sashes probably of late C17, one 18-pane, one 12-pane, with
original glazing bars and large quoins, inserted plate glass window
below and originally wider door to right with timber lintel. Two
small 4-pane sashes on first floor and 2 C20 three-light below to
right, adjacent to jettied timber-framed gable with incised render
front and 15-pane sash (5 over 10), and C20 window below.
Scattered fenestration to remaining blocks with several blocked
openings with timber lintels, including the former cottage
doorways. Gable is stone built at rear.


Listing NGR: SP1517101000

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.