This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7086 / 51°42'30"N
Longitude: -1.7796 / 1°46'46"W
OS Eastings: 415324
OS Northings: 201113
OS Grid: SP153011
Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.T1M
Mapcode Global: VHB2V.3BK2
Entry Name: Croft House
Listing Date: 4 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1089994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 129686
Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Fairford
Built-Up Area: Fairford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD THE CROFT
13/130 Croft House
Large detached house. Late C18 house enlarged and with single
storey bows added probably by Richard Pace in 1826 for Jonathan
Ware, enlarged with 2-storey bows in 1866 on becoming an asylum;
reverting to domestic use in 1893. Central section and upper part
of bows in incised render with cornice and parapet, lower part of
bows in ashlar on plinth, hipped slate roofs, rendered ridge
stacks. Double main range with cross ranges to each side and 2
additional ranges at rear to left. Two storeys. Three windows to
central C18 portion, 12-pane sashes in shallow reveals with moulded
stone cornices on consoles. Ground floor has 12-pane sashes with
moulded stone architrave flanking central stone porch which has
moulded stone cornice and pediment with antefixae, panelled square
piers and lintel and half-glazed inner door with 2 fielded lower
panels. Side bows have three 12-pane sashes to ground floor with
moulded panel above each and moulded cornice (originally at roof
line), 3 paired plain casements above. Rear facade of coursed
rubble stone with mostly 12-pane sashes in flush stone surrounds
and with large round-headed first floor window on stair added by
Pace with coloured margin glazing. On left hand return, additional
front door of 6 panels with glazed ogee arch panels to top under
large late C19 gabled porch hood on brackets, and rear wings have
scattered fenestration some with cambered heads.
Interior: Much of Pace's interior remains, including plaster groin
vaulting in corridor between original front range and added rear
range, staircase, reeded door surrounds, internal shutters, and
niches in bow wings.
(VCH, Gloucestershire: Vol. VII, 1981).
Listing NGR: SP1532401113
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings