History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nine Monuments, Including Carter and Telling, About 17 Metres South of South East Porch Buttress, in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairford, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7087 / 51°42'31"N

Longitude: -1.7821 / 1°46'55"W

OS Eastings: 415153

OS Northings: 201134

OS Grid: SP151011

Mapcode National: GBR 4SJ.SBL

Mapcode Global: VHB2V.297X

Entry Name: Nine Monuments, Including Carter and Telling, About 17 Metres South of South East Porch Buttress, in Churchyard of Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090002

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129705

Location: Fairford, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Fairford

Built-Up Area: Fairford

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: South Cotswold Team Ministry

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Quenington

Listing Text

SP 1401-1501 FAIRFORD HIGH STREET
(west side)

13/149 Nine monuments, including Carter
and Telling, about 17m south of
south east porch buttress, in
churchyard of Church of St. Mary

GV II

Two chest tombs: William Carter, died 1794, to north; Ann Telling
(or Tilling), died 1803, to south; and row of 7 headstones, mostly
probably to Carter family, running from west end of Carter to
beyond east end of Telling. Limestone. Carter - stepped tent top
with curved top section, moulded plinth and capping on tall base,
plain frieze, plain recessed ends with fluted returns, plain
recessed sides with narrow flanking relief strips. Telling - tent
top, moulded capping, on base. Unusual design with 4 Egyptian
caryatids to corners. Slightly fielded end and side panels. Six
headstones have high relief cartouche with cherub head and wings,
all mid to late C18. Furthest to south is smaller and plain with
initials LC and date 1797.

Listing NGR: SP1515301134

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.