History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Coates, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7065 / 51°42'23"N

Longitude: -2.0323 / 2°1'56"W

OS Eastings: 397866

OS Northings: 200859

OS Grid: SO978008

Mapcode National: GBR 2PJ.WJK

Mapcode Global: VHB2P.QCHN

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 18 June 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090037

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129582

Location: Coates, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Coates

Built-Up Area: Coates (Cotswold)

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Coates St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Rodmarton

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:

COATES COATES VILLAGE
SO 90 SE
2/279 The Old School
II
National school and master's house. Dated 1849;and with late C20
alterations. Coursed limestone rubble with freestone dressings.
Plain tile roof with stone coped gable ends. Gable end and axial
stacks with paired ashlar shafts. Plan: Schoolmaster's house on
right (south) and schoolroom on left with another schoolroom on a
wing behind, forming an L-shaped plan. Tudor Gothic style.
Exterior: 1 storey and attic master's house on right and single
storey schoolroom on left in continuous 1:1:2 bay range. At centre
a gable breaks forward with 2 moulded 4-centred arch doorways with
hoodmoulds and ledged doors and blind window above; below the window
a clock on ornate wrought-iron bracket (Makers: Stradlings,
Cirencester) and tablet inscribed: 'National School AD 1849'. To
right of gable two 2-light stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds on
ground floor and single light windows above in 2 small gables. To
left of large central gable a large 3-light stone mullion window with
hoodmould to schoolroom. Left hand (north east) return has similar
3-light window in rear schoolroom wing. Stone mullion windows at
rear and at time of survey May 1990 a single storey extension was
being built. Interior: not inspected.


Listing NGR: SO9786600859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.