History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boxwell Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Boxwell with Leighterton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6329 / 51°37'58"N

Longitude: -2.2729 / 2°16'22"W

OS Eastings: 381207

OS Northings: 192715

OS Grid: ST812927

Mapcode National: GBR 0MJ.G6J

Mapcode Global: VH95H.K781

Entry Name: Boxwell Court

Listing Date: 6 September 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090042

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129591

Location: Boxwell with Leighterton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL8

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Boxwell with Leighterton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: BoxwellSt Mary the Virgin and Leighterton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Kingscote

Listing Text

BOXWELL WITH BOXWELL VILLAGE
ST 89 SW
LEIGHTERTON
1/9 Boxwell Court

GV II*

6.9.54
Large country house. C15 or C16 in origin; remodelled and
enlarged 1796; mid C19 alterations; further remodelling 1900-
1914. Random rubble limestone; ashlar dressings; ashlar
chimneys; stone slate roof. Initially L-plan with large
additional cross-wing; 2 storey with attic; extensive cellars.
North front: accumulation of features of various dates. Doorway
roughly central with open pediment containing fanlight; 6-panel
fielded door; tripartite sash above and single sash to right on
each floor; sashes with glazing bars missing. Wing to right
breaks forward and is 2-window 2-storey with sashes mostly without
glazing bars. Parapet with moulded cornice over centre and right
projecting wing. Elevation to left reconstructed mid C19 with 2
parapet gables; larger to left with single-window fenestration of
1, 2 and 3-light trefoil-headed casements with hoodmoulds; gable
to right also has single-window fenestration but with round-headed
lights. Both gables have carved Huntley Boxer dog finials bearing
shields. Irregular roof line with sets of 3 diagonal shafts to 2
ridge-mounted chimneys. West elevation: central 2-storey bow with
3 curved sashes to each floor and continuous parapet resulting from
1796 remodelling. Wing to right has 2 single-light ground floor
windows and one to upper floor, all with 3-centred arched heads and
resulting from early C20 alterations. Bow flanked by 2 parapet-
mounted chimneys with 2 diagonal shafts each. South elevation:
projecting wings to right and left of centre. Wing to right is
gabled with C19 two-light mullioned casements and hoodmoulds in
older masonry; gable-mounted chimney with 2 diagonal shafts and
ridge-mounted chimney with 3-diagonal shafts set further back along
ridge. Wing to left of centre remodelled early c2(1 with small
central parapet gable above 3-window facade, gable having inset
sundial; fenestration to ground floor is mullioned and transomed
with 3-centred arched heads and hoodmoulds; 3-centred arched
doorway to right with 3 arched lights forming fanlight. Central
part of elevation is early C20 with 4-window fenestration of 2-
light mullioned casements with 3-centred arched heads; 2 attic
gables each with 2-light casements East elevation: scattered
fenestration of C19 date in older masonry. Parapet gable at centre
with attic and upper floor 5-light casements with round-headed
lights and with hoodmoulds having bold square stops. Further 5-
light to left without hood. Courtyard formed by early C20
fortified curtain wall and castillated entrance with machicolated
parapets. Left of long projecting service wing fort wall links
with Church of St. Mary (q.v.) and is surmounted by bellcote.
Interior: indications of earlier house to be found in east half of
present building include Tudor-arched doorway in former external
wall and two C17 panelled rooms with pedimented doorcases, one room
containing stone Jacobean fireplace. Late C18 marble fireplace in
room with bow window. Fine top-lit staircase hall also dates from
late C18. House has been a possession of the Huntley family since
the Reformation, and before that it belonged to the abbey of
Gloucester. Stands in secluded valley with extensive box woods.
C18 gatepiers at entrance onto Bath road (q.v.). (J. and H.S.
Storer, Delineations of Gloucestershire, 1825-7; and D. Verey,
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979).


Listing NGR: ST8120792715

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.