History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Somerford Keynes, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6585 / 51°39'30"N

Longitude: -1.9781 / 1°58'41"W

OS Eastings: 401610

OS Northings: 195520

OS Grid: SU016955

Mapcode National: GBR 2Q5.YH9

Mapcode Global: VHB2X.NKMZ

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 4 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 129506

Location: Somerford Keynes, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Somerford Keynes

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Somerford Keynes with Sharncote All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Somerford Keynes

Listing Text

SOMERFORD KEYNES SOMERFORD KEYNES VILLAGE
SU 09 NW
8/207 Manor House
4.6.52
GV II
Large detached manor house. Core probably of late C15 or early
C16, enlarged to east c1630s, with wing to north-west added in
1924. Random coursed rubble stone with flush quoins, stone slate
roof, renewed stone stacks including flue to large partially
external stack to main fireplace on north side. Originally a
single range with through passage, gabled cross wing added to east
and projecting wing to north-west forming 'L'-shape. Mostly 2
storeys and attic. Probably originally a hall with solar to east
of screens passage, with 2-storey service wing to west. Roof
raised at some stage, probably in early C17, requiring raking
buttresses to be built against south wall to take extra weight, and
some of the original smoke-blackened timbers may have been reused
to form new roof structure. On north side, original external
entrance with chamfered and stopped Tudor stone archway with
initials "M" and "S" in spandrels (Strange family), covered over
with long lean-to and original vertical battened plank door moved
to outer entrance, recessed under cambered beam with carved stone
heads to each side. External stack rises through this lean-to,
which has mostly small leaded casements to left and C20 raised
window to right. Cross wing of C17 has coped gables to both ends,
with 3-light hollow-moulded leaded stone mullion and transoms with
square hoodmould to ground and first floor, and 2-light stone
mullion with square hoodmould to attic on north side and to angle
wing linking it with main range to right. North-west wing of 1924
built in sympathetic style with leaded stone windows. South front
has original service wing to west with 3 and 2-light stone mullion
and transom with square hoodmould and relieving arch to first and
ground floors. Original hall steps slightly forward with wide
hipped porch with depressed Tudor arch with chamfered jambs and
lintel whose original inner vertical battened plank door has been
moved to original external north entrance. Three-light stone
mullion and transom above and 2 similar to ground and first floors
to right, raised to far right on ground floor for original dais.
All fenestration leaded iron casements, including 2 small hipped
dormers. Early C17 wing has large squared masonry on south gable
end.
Interior substantially altered in 1967 and in 1970s. Partitions in
main hall have been moved, including removal of screens partition.
Large C16 strapwork stone fireplace below external stack on
original north wall; behind plaster on east wall is former
fireplace for solar, also large stone fireplace carved with terms
and Hungerford arms. C17 panelling survives in additional north
entrance hall. There is reputed to have been a manor house on this
site since the C14. (David Verey, Buildings of England -
Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979; Geoffrey Gibbon, Through
the Saxon Door - the story of Somerford Keynes, 1969).


Listing NGR: SU0161095520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.