This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7688 / 51°46'7"N
Longitude: -1.9759 / 1°58'33"W
OS Eastings: 401760
OS Northings: 207789
OS Grid: SP017077
Mapcode National: GBR 2P0.581
Mapcode Global: VHB2B.PSSX
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 February 1952
Last Amended: 12 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131252
Location: North Cerney, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: North Cerney
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: North Cerney All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
NORTH CERNEY NORTH CERNEY VILLAGE
SP01 075 -
16/229 The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as Rectory and
4.2.52 Stable Block)
Former rectory now house, built 1694 by Rev. John Coxe. Incised
render; stone slate roof, ashlar stacks. 'U'-shaped plan. Flat-
roofed extension inserted in the courtyard and to the rear not of
special interest. Two storeys attic and cellar. Formerly
symmetrical 7-windowed entrance (east) front lit by 12-pane sashes
with ovolo-moulded surrounds; 3-windows to the left of the door
elongated 8-pane sashes. Cenral double door (up 3 stone steps)
with fielded panels with moulded architraves and keystones which
are extended up to meet a continuous dripmould; similar dripmould
above the first floor windows; 3 segmental-headed roof dormers with
6-pane sashes; C19 gabled wrought iron porch. Two and 3-light
double-chamfered stone-mullioned casements and an ovolo-moulded
cross window at the rear. Single-storey C20 porch rear right.
Right-hand return: a flat roofed single-storey bow window (added
c1828) lit by three 12-pane sashes with dressed stone architraves
and keystones; band and moulded cornice above windows; tripartite
sash above the bow window; painted arms of University College
Oxford to the right; fenestration otherwise 12-pane sashes with
ovolo-moulded surrounds. Hipped roof with projecting and axial
stacks with moulded capping.
Interior: original C17 dogleg staircase with turned balusters and
ramped handrail. Bolection moulded architraves formerly in hall
(D. Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds, 1979).
Listing NGR: SP0175607791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings