This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8985 / 51°53'54"N
Longitude: -1.7138 / 1°42'49"W
OS Eastings: 419788
OS Northings: 222255
OS Grid: SP197222
Mapcode National: GBR 4Q8.ZFS
Mapcode Global: VHBZC.7JTZ
Entry Name: Wick Hill House Hotel
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 131000
Location: Wick Rissington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Wick Rissington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Wyck Rissington St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
WICK RISSINGTON -
SP 12 SE
1/269 Wick Hill House Hotel
Large house now used as a hotel. Basically late C19 but possibly
incorporating parts of a C18 house. Orange coursed squared and
dressed limestone with cream-coloured limestone quoins. Stone
slate and artificial stone slate roofing. Stacks in the same
stonework as the main body. Two storeys. Entrance front with
gable projecting forwards to the right. Projecting 2-storey porch
off-centre left. Four-pane and 2-pane sashes with horns and 2-
light casements. Tripartite sash to the first floor of the
projecting gable, a segmental surround with keystone and triangular
pediment supported on moulded brackets above the central sash.
Two round-headed arched entrances to the porch flanked by piers
with engaged columns with banded decoration. Entablature between
the ground and first floors. Three-light stone-mullioned casement
with a transom to the first floor. Pierced parapet. Double C20
part-glazed door with fielded panels at the bottom set back within
the porch. Left-hand return; gable with single-storey
rectangular bay, projects forwards right. Two-storey bow window
off-centre left with gable end to right. Fenestration on the
ground floor mostly 8-pane casements/doors with transoms below the
upper 2 pairs within narrow double-chamfered surrounds with
architraves. Two windows on the ground floor of the left-hand
gable inserted C20. Tripartite sash with horns to the rectangular
bay right. Tripartite sash with horns and a triangular pediment
on moulded brackets over the central window. Three 6-pane sashes
with horns and moulded architraves to the left. Three 10-pane
glazed doors with transoms towards the top and small balconies with
stone standings supported on moulded brackets and low curved cast
iron railings to the first floor of the bow window. Large coat of
arms with a triangular pediment and three chalices at the centre
and the motto 'COMME JE TROUVE' at the bottom and on the left-hand
gable at first floor level. Narrow string between floors. Band
and moulded eaves cornice between the two gables. Fenestration of
the left-hand return comprises 12 and 9-pane sashes with horns.
Roof; stepped coped gables with 'gabled' kneelers. Lateral axial
and gable-end stacks all with moulded cappings.
Interior; fine Adam style plastered ceiling to room with bow
window. White marble fireplace and an alcove in the same room.
C19 staircase. History; the original house was built in the
early C18 and was enlarged by the addition of a south wing before
1775. The house was extensively altered and enlarged after 1875.
In 1958 the west wing (the oldest part of the house was gutted by
fire). (V.C.H, Glos. Vol VI p115)
Listing NGR: SP1978822255
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings