This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8808 / 51°52'50"N
Longitude: -1.7378 / 1°44'16"W
OS Eastings: 418144
OS Northings: 220282
OS Grid: SP181202
Mapcode National: GBR 4QM.5FD
Mapcode Global: VHB1W.TZNK
Entry Name: Rissington Mill
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130945
Location: Little Rissington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Little Rissington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Little Rissington St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
LITTLE RISSINGTON -
SP 12 SE
1/212 Rissington Mill
Former corn mill and house, now house. Present building probably
dates from mid C18, extended C20. Coursed squared and dressed
limestone. Stone slate roof with ashlar stacks. Rectangular
plan with C20 extension to right and earlier extension to rear
right. Two storeys and attic lit by three slate hung roof
dormers. Four-windowed facade with milling area at the left end.
Two 2-light casements with glazing bars within plain wide stone
architraves to the ground floor. Three similar windows to the
first floor of the former house part. Probable former pitching
window (now glazed) with a timber lintel to the first floor of the
milling area. Single-width C20 glass door with glazing bars and a
plain architrave to the house part. French windows with glazing
bars and a timber lintel to the left at ground floor level. Small
single-light with leaded panes and a stone surround to the left of
the latter. Single-windowed extension to right with 3-light
wooden casements with glazing bars. Single-storey extension
(restored C20) rear right. Axial and gable-end stacks to the main
body with cappings and skirtings.
Interior; some wooden gearing at ground and first floor levels
retained and restored. Former undershot mill wheel no longer in
situ. Inscription 'Richard Lane, Carpenter, 1754' recorded in
previous list description no longer traceable.
History; site of mill in 1086. The Bennett family were millers
from 1548-1755. Still in use as a corn mill in 1881.
(V.C.H. Vol VI P.lll)
Listing NGR: SP1814420282
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings