History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Row of 8 Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist Circa 6 Metres West of the David Ansell Monument

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Rissington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8525 / 51°51'9"N

Longitude: -1.7179 / 1°43'4"W

OS Eastings: 419526

OS Northings: 217142

OS Grid: SP195171

Mapcode National: GBR 4QV.Y6N

Mapcode Global: VHBZK.5PNQ

Entry Name: Row of 8 Monuments in the Churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist Circa 6 Metres West of the David Ansell Monument

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090296

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130891

Location: Great Rissington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Great Rissington

Built-Up Area: Great Rissington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Great Rissington St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Great Rissington

Listing Text

GREAT RISSINGTON GREAT RISSINGTON VILLAGE
SP 1917-2017
9/158 Row of 8 monuments in the churchyard
of the Church of St John the Baptist
c6m west of the David Ansell
monument
GV II
Row of 8 headstones. Limestone. Mid-late C18. The earlier
headstones in the group have segmental heads, the later have canted
heads. All 8 have winged cherubs' heads, varying in detail, above
their inscription plaques. The decoration on the earlier
headstones tends to be in bolder relief than that on the later.
The most notable headstones in the group are that second from the
left, which has a small winged cherub's head, with wings folded
down, flanked by open bibles at the top, and the headstone fourth
from the left (the tallest in the group) which has a small winged
cherub's head with down-folded wings at the top, flanked by cherubs
each holding a trumpet. The sunken segmental-headed inscription
plaque includes the date 1746 and is flanked by raised margins with
stiff foliate decoration. The inscriptions are mostly illegible
but that at the far right-hand end is to Peter (?)Cambray, died
1764. The headstone third from the right-hand end is to Robert
Cambray, died 1772.

Listing NGR: SP1952617142

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.