History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 14 and 15 and Former Forge at Rear

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherborne, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8328 / 51°49'58"N

Longitude: -1.7618 / 1°45'42"W

OS Eastings: 416508

OS Northings: 214941

OS Grid: SP165149

Mapcode National: GBR 4R5.5C7

Mapcode Global: VHB28.D6Y8

Entry Name: Nos 14 and 15 and Former Forge at Rear

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090435

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130625

Location: Sherborne, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Sherborne

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Sherborne St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Farmington

Listing Text

SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE
SP 1614
9/187 Nos 14 and 15 and former forge
at rear
23.1.52
GV II

Two cottages, semi-detached and former forge at rear. No 15
(right); mid C17, No 14; late C18-early C19. Forge C19.
Coursed squared and dressed limestone, artificial stone slate on
roof pitch facing road, concrete tile at rear. Red tile roof to
former forge. Ashlar and C20 dressed stone stacks. Rectangular
plan to main body. Former forge forms a long narrow rectangular
block at rear attached No 15 via a short extension. C20 lean-to
extension at rear of No 15, not of special interest. Main body;
2-storey, 5-windowed facade. The three right-hand bays represent
the mid C17 range with 2-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned
casements with stopped hoods. Projecting bread oven right of far
right-hand window. Similar casements with flat-chamfered mullions
to remaining two bays on left. Two C19 four-panel doors with two
glazed panels towards centre of facade within stone-built porches
with hipped roofs. Flat coping at gable ends of main body. Axial
and gable-end stacks. Cottage interiors not inspected. Former
smithy contains the remains of two forges. (Property of the
National Trust).


Listing NGR: SP1650814941

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.