This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8311 / 51°49'51"N
Longitude: -1.7565 / 1°45'23"W
OS Eastings: 416876
OS Northings: 214746
OS Grid: SP168147
Mapcode National: GBR 4R6.0RX
Mapcode Global: VHB28.H7SM
Entry Name: Pair of Stephens Monuments, in the Churchyard of Church of St Mary, C9m North of the Nave
Listing Date: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090437
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130631
Location: Sherborne, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sherborne St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE
9/193 Pair of Stephens monuments,
in the churchyard
of Church of St. Mary,
c9m north of the nave
Pair of chest tombs. Tomb nearest nave to Thomas Stephens, died
1803, and Margaret Stephens, died 1809. Moulded plinth.
Inscriptions on north and south sides within sarcophagus shaped
inscription panels, surrounded by foliate decoration. Inset and
moulded corners at either end. Capping with moulded margin and
upper capping stone.
Tomb c2.5m north of the latter to; Betty wife of Thomas Stephens,
died 1799; Thomas Stephens, died 1801 and Margaret Stephens, died
1822. Partially legible inscription at east end. Limestone.
Moulded plinth. Oval inscription plaques on north and south sides.
Foliate decoration outside panel, fluted columns either side.
Capping with moulded margin and upper capping stone.
Listing NGR: SP1687614746
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings