History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block Circa 25 Metres North East of Sherborne House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sherborne, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8311 / 51°49'52"N

Longitude: -1.7552 / 1°45'18"W

OS Eastings: 416963

OS Northings: 214753

OS Grid: SP169147

Mapcode National: GBR 4R6.132

Mapcode Global: VHB28.J7FL

Entry Name: Stable Block Circa 25 Metres North East of Sherborne House

Listing Date: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090440

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130636

Location: Sherborne, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Sherborne

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Sherborne St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Farmington

Listing Text

SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE
SP 1614
9/199 Stable block c25m north-east
of Sherborne House
GV II

Former stable block and coach house to Sherborne House (q.v.), now
in the process of conversion (January 1986). Built for James
Dutton, died 1776. Ashlar. Slate roof with ashlar stacks. Square
quadrangle with a courtyard at the centre. Two storeys. 2:5:5:2-
windowed entrance front on north with central round-headed entrance
arch extending up to first floor height. Open triangular pediment
with modillion cornice. Cornice continues at eaves level either
side of pediment. Clock within triangular pediment. Fenestration
in process of replacement at time of resurvey (February 1986).
Wood-mullioned cross windows with glazing bars to ground floor.
Two-light casements with glazing bars to first floor. Band between
floors. South front matches north front. Walls facing onto
courtyard; C20 double doors with glazing bars and fanlights within
round-headed surrounds of 2 orders with imposts. Six-pane sashes
lighting first floor. Band between floors. Axial stacks.
Octagonal, wooden louvred lantern on north with ogee-curved leaded
roof with weathervane at the apex.


Listing NGR: SP1696314753

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.