This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8303 / 51°49'49"N
Longitude: -1.7548 / 1°45'17"W
OS Eastings: 416996
OS Northings: 214660
OS Grid: SP169146
Mapcode National: GBR 4R6.75K
Mapcode Global: VHB28.J8P7
Entry Name: Orangery and Attached Garden Wall East of Sherborne House
Listing Date: 25 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 130638
Location: Sherborne, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Sherborne
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Sherborne St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SHERBORNE SHERBORNE VILLAGE
SP 1614 and
Orangery and attached garden
wall east of Sherborne House
Orangery and attached wall. Early-mid C19. Ashlar. Flat,
probably leaded roof of orangery. Rectangular plan to orangery.
Wall runs for c80m west up to Sherborne House and for c80m east
before returning southwards for c35m. Orangery; single-storey,
5-bay facade lit by large 12-pane sashes within moulded
architraves. Two similar windows in returns. Pilasters between
windows. Shallow moulded string above windows. Panelled parapet
with deep moulded cornice and intermediary piers in line with the
pilasters. Central part-glazed double doors. Wall up to 5m in
height, ramped in places. Flat capping. Four marble tablets
commemorating dogs, set into wall right of orangery with
inscriptions dating from 1866 to 1883.
Listing NGR: SP1699614660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings