History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Gables

A Grade II Listed Building in Northleach with Eastington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8302 / 51°49'48"N

Longitude: -1.8369 / 1°50'12"W

OS Eastings: 411337

OS Northings: 214629

OS Grid: SP113146

Mapcode National: GBR 3PR.BD5

Mapcode Global: VHB27.38SB

Entry Name: The Gables

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090479

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130530

Location: Northleach with Eastington, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Northleach with Eastington

Built-Up Area: Northleach

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Northleach St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Northleach

Listing Text

NORTHLEACH WITH HIGH STREET
SP 1114
EASTINGTON (north side), Northleach
8/93 The Gables
23.1.52
GV II

House in row. Mid C17, late C17-mid C18. Small coursed squared
and dressed limestone, stone slate on front roof pitch, concrete
tile at rear. Ashlar stacks. Rectangular main body with through
passage now opening into late C17-mid C18 extension at right angles
at rear. Small C20 almost flat-roofed extension at rear not of
special interest. Two storeys and attic. Twin-gabled, 3-windowed
facade lit by 2, 3 and 4-light casements with horizontal glazing
bars. Almost central C20 part-glazed door. Bootscraper left of
door. All openings in facade with flat-arched heads. Hood over
casement lighting left-hand gable. Gable-end stack to extension at
rear. Terra cotta animal reputed variously to represent a sheep or
a cat was placed at right end of roof axis of main body in the late
C19.
Interior; beams with deep flat chamfers and moulded stops. C17-
early C18 plank and stud partition (partly restored) on one side of
through passage. Two C19, C18 style stone fireplaces with
keystones. Large cellar under main body formerly with access via
stone spiral stair. Three-small stone-lined niches within cellar
walls. Floor of rooms above form ceiling of cellar. Close-studded
and C18 panelled partitions on first floor. Splayed surrounds to
windows formerly lighting rear wall (now blocked) at first floor
level.


Listing NGR: SP1160814433

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.