History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tayler's Farmhouse and Attached Garden Wall, Former Malthouse and Wine Cellar

A Grade II Listed Building in Aldsworth, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7901 / 51°47'24"N

Longitude: -1.7751 / 1°46'30"W

OS Eastings: 415605

OS Northings: 210184

OS Grid: SP156101

Mapcode National: GBR 4RK.N1X

Mapcode Global: VHB2G.58XK

Entry Name: Tayler's Farmhouse and Attached Garden Wall, Former Malthouse and Wine Cellar

Listing Date: 23 January 1952

Last Amended: 25 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090494

English Heritage Legacy ID: 130460

Location: Aldsworth, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Aldsworth

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Aldsworth St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Farmington

Listing Text

ALDSWORTH ALDSWORTH VILLAGE
SP 1510
11/24 Tayler's Farmhouse and attached garden wall,
former malthouse and wine cellar
(formerly listed as Green Farmhouse
23.1.52 or 'Tailor's House')
GV II

House, malthouse and cellar adjoining Stable End House. Late C18,
early C19 (dated 1831 on weathervane) and mid-late C19. Probably
late C18 malthouse and cellar. Coursed squared and dressed
limestone, ashlar facade. Stone slate roof to C18 part, slate roof
to early C19 part. Malthouse; coursed squared and roughly dressed
limestone, slate roofing. 'L'-shaped plan to house with 'L'-shaped
malthouse attached rear left. Large wine cellar under garden at
rear of house with access via malthouse buildings. Stable End
House attached left not of special interest. House; 2-storey late
C18 part left with gablet over 16-pane sash lighting upper floor.
Two other 16-pane sashes to ground floor. Part-glazed 6-panel door
with 4-panels now glazed within dressed stone surround. Flat stone
canopy with wrought iron supports rising from ground level. Two-
pane sash with horns left. Early C19 part right; 3-storey, 3-
windowed facade, all 16-pane sashes with plain architraves and
keystones. Bands between each floor. Formerly central 6-panel
front door re-sited off-centre left with upper 2 panels glazed,
Doric pilasters either side and moulded stone hood. Moulded stone
cornice with parapet. Low limestone garden wall right with iron
railing and 3 ashlar piers (2 engaged) and ball finials.
Rectangular 3-storey bay lit by 4-pane sashes and horns from right-
hand return. Mid-late C19 extension at rear also lit by 4-pane
sashes with horns. Gable end stacks to C18 part. Pyramidal roof
to early Cl9 part, banded ball finial and weathervane dated 1831
at apex. Malthouse; contains drying kiln and at least one malting
floor. Access to wine cellar via malthouse complex. Two flights
of brick steps down to cellar, slopes either side on steps. Cellar
cl0m by 20m and c6m in height with two 4-bay basket-headed
arcades with square stone piers. Barrel vaulting. Blocked exit.


Listing NGR: SP1560510184

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.