History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fretherne with Saul, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.782 / 51°46'55"N

Longitude: -2.3651 / 2°21'54"W

OS Eastings: 374911

OS Northings: 209320

OS Grid: SO749093

Mapcode National: GBR 0KN.8VK

Mapcode Global: VH94N.YGJS

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132420

Location: Fretherne with Saul, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Fretherne with Saul

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Saul St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

FRETHERNE WITH SAUL CHURCH LANE
SO 70 NW
(north side)
5/161 Church of St. James
10.1.55
GV II*
Anglican parish church. Said to date from 1140, part of chancel
possibly C14, tower and nave windows Perpendicular of late
C15/early C16. Altered and enlarged in 1856 and restored 1863-5 by
T. Fulljames. North aisle and nave arcade added during C19 work,
exact date uncertain. Random coursed dressed stone to nave on
chamfered plinth, ashlar tower, chancel and north aisle. Stone
slate roof to nave and south side of chancel, remainder in
interlocking concrete tiles, with coped verges, cross finials and
end saddlestones, and stiff leaf eaves cornice to chancel. West
tower, nave with south porch and north aisle, chancel with north
transept (vestry). Tower of 2 stages with string courses on
moulded plinth, stepped diagonal buttresses to part of lower stage,
embattled parapet, 2-light trefoil head stone belfry louvres to
each face of upper stage. West side has small chamfered 3-centred
archway, with deeply splayed double trefoil-head light over and
small single light below first string course, clockface dated 1887
above string course. On south side, nave has 3-light Perpendicular
windows flanking small C19 open timber-work gabled porch, chancel
has paired trefoil-head lancets flanking trefoil-head priest's
door. North aisle has similar paired or triple trefoil-head
lancets. Three-light east window.
Interior: nave has 4-bay arcade to north aisle which has plain
rafter roof meeting piers with pierced trefoils set into angles.
Wagon roof to nave, arcade with cylindrical columns and water-
holding bases. Chancel roof of 2 bays with arched-braced
principals on carved stone corbels. Chancel arch has 2 elaborate
corbels with 2 very small marble columns over. Elaborate stone
screen to tower with cusped central archway and flanking stone
seats, probably of C19. Reredos in Caen stone of 1883, brought
from St Michael's, Gloucester, by H.C. and W.S. Frith. Norman
font. Jacobean pulpit.
(David Verey, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire, the Vale and
the Forest of Dean, 1980; VCH, Gloucestershire, Vol X, 1972)


Listing NGR: SO7491109320

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.