History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fretherne Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Fretherne with Saul, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7744 / 51°46'27"N

Longitude: -2.369 / 2°22'8"W

OS Eastings: 374636

OS Northings: 208482

OS Grid: SO746084

Mapcode National: GBR 0KN.MX4

Mapcode Global: VH94N.WNGL

Entry Name: Fretherne Bridge House

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132431

Location: Fretherne with Saul, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Fretherne with Saul

Built-Up Area: Frampton on Severn

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Saul St James the Great

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

FRETHERNE WITH SAUL FRETHERNE BRIDGE
SO 7408-7508
9/172 Fretherne Bridge House
II
Bridgekeeper's house at Fretherne Bridge on Gloucester and
Sharpness Canal. Early C19, possibly by Robert Mylne, first
principal engineer to the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal Company.
Rendered, artificial slate roof, small brick ridge stack. Small
cruciform structure with shallow pediment to each face presenting
single storey towards canal with 2 storeys to remaining sides.
Main front to canal has been altered and has 2 fluted Doric
columns, no longer in antis, but with inserted 2-light C20 window
to left. Pediment with plain frieze and cornice remains. Original
beaded doorcase with door of 6 bolection-moulded panels also
remains. Scattered fenestration, with 16-pane sashes to sides.
Two-storey lean-to at rear with small flanking single-storey wings.
Survey work for the original canal route from Gloucester to
Berkeley was carried out in 1793 by Mylne. In 1813 the terminal
point was changed to Sharpness and the canal opened in 1827.
(Sharpness, centenary booklet 1974, published by British Waterways
Board)


Listing NGR: SO7463608482

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.