History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Splatt Bridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Frampton on Severn, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7585 / 51°45'30"N

Longitude: -2.3747 / 2°22'28"W

OS Eastings: 374234

OS Northings: 206710

OS Grid: SO742067

Mapcode National: GBR 0KV.LGZ

Mapcode Global: VH94V.S2G8

Entry Name: Splatt Bridge House

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090530

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132369

Location: Frampton on Severn, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Frampton on Severn

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Frampton-on-Severn St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Frampton on Severn

Listing Text

FRAMPTON-ON-SEVERN CHURCH END
SO 7406-7506
11/111 Splatt Bridge House
II
Bridgekeeper's house at Splatt Bridge on Gloucester and Sharpness
Canal. Early C19, possibly by Robert Mylne, first principal
engineer to the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal Company. Rendered,
artificial slate roof, small brick ridge stack. Small cruciform
structure with shallow pediment to each face, presenting single
storey towards canal with 2 storeys to remaining sides. Main
front to canal with 2 fluted Doric columns widely spaced in antis,
beneath shallow pediment with plain frieze and cornice and without
bases. Probable original panelled door to rear partially obscured
by additional sliding door. Scattered fenestraton with some 16-
pane sashes. Lean-to to rear. Survey work for the original
canal route from Gloucester to Berkeley was carried out in 1793 by
Mylne. In 1813 the terminal point was changed to Sharpness and
the Canal opened in 1827.
(Sharpness, centenary booklet 1974, published by British Waterways
Board.)


Listing NGR: SO7423406710

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.