History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Arlingham Free Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Arlingham, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7974 / 51°47'50"N

Longitude: -2.4218 / 2°25'18"W

OS Eastings: 371010

OS Northings: 211051

OS Grid: SO710110

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.XV7H

Mapcode Global: VH875.Z22Z

Entry Name: Arlingham Free Church

Listing Date: 9 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090579

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132279

Location: Arlingham, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Arlingham

Built-Up Area: Arlingham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Arlingham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Newnham

Listing Text

ARLINGHAM FRIDAY STREET
SO 71 SW
(east side)
2/21 Arlingham Free Church
II
Arlingham Free Church, formerly the Ebenezer Chapel. Oval
datestone 12th July 1820 on front, built by John Irving; became
Arlingham Free Church on 27th September 1930, commemorated on a
wooden board below the datestone. Brick, hipped slate roof with
wide projecting wood eaves soffit. Small square single-storey
building, with projecting porch and small single-storey lower wing
both on west side. Two long round-headed windows to each side with
double hung sashes, radial glazed at top, and deep rounded
voussoirs formed by 2 rows of brick end to end. Small brick
extension possibly of 1930 with 4-pane sash and brick chimney.
Hipped porch with renewed lintel in concrete and double 4-pane
doors, with long narrow panels rising as "hips" to central arris.
Small corrugated iron structure behind extension.
Interior has panelled gallery to west on 2 wooden columns and
matching reading desk, possibly original, and tablets on east wall
commemorating the founder John Irving and his wife Elizabeth.


Listing NGR: SO7101011051

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.