History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 4 Monuments,about 6.5m North-East of Clutterbuck Monuments in Churchyard of Church of St Mary the Virgin

A Grade II Listed Building in Berkeley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6894 / 51°41'21"N

Longitude: -2.4575 / 2°27'27"W

OS Eastings: 368469

OS Northings: 199055

OS Grid: ST684990

Mapcode National: GBR JX.4VYP

Mapcode Global: VH87K.CS5T

Entry Name: Group of 4 Monuments,about 6.5m North-East of Clutterbuck Monuments in Churchyard of Church of St Mary the Virgin

Listing Date: 9 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1090608

English Heritage Legacy ID: 132249

Location: Berkeley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL13

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Berkeley

Built-Up Area: Berkeley

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Berkeley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Berkeley

Listing Text

ST 69 NE BERKELEY CHURCH LANE
(Inset, Section E) (south side)

10/108 Group of 4 monuments, about 6.5m
north-east of Clutterbuck Monuments
in churchyard of Church of St. Mary
the Virgin.

GV II


4 chest tombs. From south to north: Mary Dean, died 1804;
Unidentified, late C18; Unidentified, late C18; James Phillips,
died 1761. Limestone. Flat top, moulded plinth and capping. From
south to north: 1. Lozenge shape on large base, with rounded
ends. Ends have fluted frieze and spiral astragal and torus, with
snake and urn with oval panel to west, and raised oval panel
wrapped round to east. Remaining 4 sides have tall oval panels with
carved foliage surround overlapping edges and tied in bundle at
top. 2. Lyre ends with oval panels. South side has collapsed
outwards, north side completely eroded. Sinking badly to south
west. 3. Heavy lyre ends with draped returns and oval inscription
panels. Sides have central inscription panels and flanking foliage
reliefs. Top breaking up at time of survey (Nov. 1984). 4.
Additional moulding to upper edge of top, indented corners, end
panels with plain frieze, cartouche to east and rectangular panel
with rounded projection at top to west. Sides have plain raised
rectangular panels.


Listing NGR: ST6846999055

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.